Friday, July 24

Drive



TGIF!
It's Friday, it's Friday!


You know, I sort of miss the feeling of looking forward to the weekends. Even back in the days when I was still slogging half my soul out everyday in May, the excitement of enjoying the weekends still did not seem so intense like how I do now. I sort of know why but I guess it is also because of this different job nature I am in. Now that I have a job that at least allows me to breathe like a normal human, I finally realized the meaning of "TGIF!" I must say. I just want to shout it out loud this morning when I officially ended my day and stepped out of the building.


So, I managed to get by my first week in the office - very much alive, thank you. I learned much valuable stuff of course, although not as much as I did in Recruit Express I must admit. But I certainly felt more at ease with myself and I now don't have my BP maintained at a high constant of 130+ through the day. I love the current environment, my personal space and laptop. Although the system could be nicer to me if it would run just a little faster at times, and not freeze as and when it feels like stopping for a rest. Something not new, but there are definitely some cliques and office politics going on in my department. People have been generally nice to me though, even getting some nice treatment from strangers from random departments. They do stop by my cube and introduce themselves. Even the housekeeping Ah Ma is very cute too. Even though we know that it is post-lunch, we never fail to ask the reply the same Q&A (eaten already?) when she pops by to vacuum under my desk every afternoon.


As mentioned, my boss is a xinmin PLUS nanyang alum so it took little effort to break the ice with her. My boss's boss is a nice lady who looks like only a few years older than me but she has such great work capability that reminds me much of Grace back then, and she really motivates me to want things done well and fast. Somehow I am not sure whether it is a good thing that she gives me autonomy in my work, like giving me opportunities to do more than just sai kang. It gets tiresome at times making decisions and drafting words from scratch but I am loving the independence. Working with the comms people is a real eye-opener too and it made me realized how much more I still need to learn in this aspect. All the media-planning and buying, creating 'sophisisicated' copies, amending adverts again and again, getting clearance from the directors for almost everything that needs to go public... Also, I still need lots of courage in speaking up. Presenting to the director on Thursday was nerve-wrecking and seeing how my colleagues do it with such ease and confidence just spurred me to improve myself the next time (if they is *cross fingers). Meetings are fun; they are like project work during the JC days, only with old people haha. It is fun seeing how some peeps rather want to just listen and take notes, and some want to question and find some fault, somewhere somehow. Right now, I am probably not VERY satisfied with my work performance yet but at least everything has been smooth for now and hopefully I will pick things up fast enough to secure myself the seat.


I am not sure where I got the motivation, but I just want to do well in my job so badly that I have absolutely no qualms in putting in that wee bit of extra effort and time to smooth all the kinks out. Even if that means staying back and not claiming the hours from them. Compared to how I used to complain about the long hours in RE, I am actually surprised to think that I can actually see myself working into the night easily here and not complain.


High time I start reading my sister's textbook on how to use Excel as well so that I can progress from my primary school standard! Hehe.


I know I have not been posting about food too, but I promise some pictures will come this weekend. The room is in a terrible mess after a week of neglect. Laundry is waiting too. I will probably try out more (and new!) food around the clarke quay/ city hall area as well, and I'm looking forward to the little stores at circular road. Apparently there is this bak chor mee sua that is garnering raves. Funan is providing lots of good, fast options when time is tight or when the little snacking cravings kick in at 4pm+. Qi Ji, Subway, Delifrance, Macs, Jollibean, Ya Kun!


More worthy to mention is the new Barcook Bakery branch opened right in front of Central mall! I have heard so much raves about the Bugis branch but just did not have the time for a visit. It is sort of comforting to grab a warm and fresh cream cheese raisin bun and munch on it which watching "we got married" on the long 147 bus journey home. Of course, if I cannot resist the temptation, I usually will buy chocolate wassants from Petit Provence branch at Central basement as well. The good thing is that the branch sell the wassants individually at 60cents a pop so it's gooood I can satisfy my craving, which is almost always there, even on a tight budget.


Watching "we got married" really triggers the korean food cravings pretty badly. I just cooked instant ramen the 'authentic' style - in the pot with the lid! "We got married" is real good companion on long bus/ train journeys man; I never fail to giggle aloud to myself at every episode.


Aunt just came over with a $52 Mao Shan Wang. The idea of hiding some pulp to make durian muffins is a little tempting but I am sure the mom will flip if she hears this idea.



I just want to laze in my bed and listen to the 80s all weekend long.



This song always gimme the goosebumps.


I gotta take a little time
A little time to think things over
I better read between the lines
In case I need it when Im older

Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders
I through the clouds I see love shine
It keeps me warm as life grows colder

In my life theres been heartache and pain
I dont know if I can face it again
Cant stop now, Ive traveled so far
To change this lonely life




And also this.






Who's gonna tell you when,
It's too late,
Who's gonna tell you things,
Aren't so great.

You cant go on, thinkin',
Nothings' wrong, whoa ho...,
Who's gonna drive you home,
tonight.?

Who's gonna pick you up,
When You fall?
Who's gonna hang it up,
When you call?

Who's gonna pay attention,
To your dreams?
And who's gonna plug their ears,
When you scream?

No comments: