Tuesday, September 13

Anyway, this is going to sound a little weird, but still I was wondering the theme of constancy in Persuasion. While I was reading very diligently through my notes, I came across this which, well, provoked some thoughts.


Austen asks us to prize the 'retentive' heart which doesn't let go, but at the same time, much in the novel, by emphasizing the inevitability of 'changes, alienations, removals' urges the high costs of such constancy and the wisdom of adaptability.

So, I guess change is unavoidable. People change right? Hearts change lanes. Still this whole thing on constancy still bugs me, but maybe the truth may be not what I see. Besides, appearances are so deceptive that we sometimes cannot decode reality. Maybe I should just belive in myself.

But have you ever wonder what if Anne and Wentworth doesn't have that 'retantive' heart? What if Wentworth returned with a wife? What if Wentworh return and see Anne become a fat mama with five kids? Then, I think this is no romance already lah. But it's ok to change right. It's unavoidable. But of course, if the story continues where Anne and Wentworth are still attracted to each other even if they are both attached, I will not like it. Constancy of the heart also must see the circumstances ok.

-loss of words-

. .... ..... .
... ... .. .... ?
...'. .... ....... .... .


The fact is I think I'm jealous, not of A&W.
Yeah I am...

No comments: